Washington DC Cultural & Transition Yr School Trips & Tours
Chosen as the US capital for its tactical location between the South and the North, Washington DC offers a whole host of experiences for cultural tours and transition year groups. Home to the US Government, many of the nation’s monuments and museums, historic landmarks and memorials to great US presidents of the past, the city’s skyline might be low profile but its attractions certainly aren’t.
This is the ideal cultural trip destination to couple with a trip to New York as many American History themes can be covered within, and between, the two cities too.
Our sample itinerary provides you with an idea of the visits you can cover during your trip. We can tailor-make an itinerary to support your specific learning outcomes.
|1||Daytime flight||Met on arrival by a local Agent Representative for an escorted transfer to accommodation|
|2||Guided walking tour of historical sites||Free time|
|3||Guided walking tour of memorial sites||Holocaust museum|
|4||US Capitol Building tour||Transfer to airport||Overnight flight to Ireland|
|Afternoon||Met on arrival by a local Agent Representative for an escorted transfer to accommodation|
|Morning||Guided walking tour of historical sites|
|Morning||Guided walking tour of memorial sites|
|Morning||US Capitol Building tour|
|Afternoon||Transfer to airport|
|Evening||Overnight flight to Ireland|
On-tour support includes...
- Services of a See Off Representative at your departure airport
Popular options in Washington
Walking Tour - Political Sites
Half day tour with a local guide covering externally all the major government buildings:
- Pennsylvania Avenue
- The US Capitol (the Senate, House of Representatives, Supreme Court, Library of Congress)
- The Mall
- George Washington Monument
Walking Tour - Historical Sites
Half day tour with a local guide covering all the major historical sites and monuments:
- Jefferson Memorial
- FDR Memorial
- Korean War Veterans Memorial
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Lincoln Memorial
- Vietnam Memorial
- WWII Memorial
- The White House (exterior)
US Holocaust Memorial Museum
Explaining the story of the Holocaust in a uniquely and immensely thought provoking manner, students will never forget a visit to this museum.
Arlington National Cemetery
The history of this cemetery, the largest military graveyard in the world reflects the conflicts and struggles faced by the American people. Graves here include those from the Civil War, and both World Wars and the eternal flame burning by the grave of JFK.
National Museum of American History
Traces the country’s development in an entertaining and fairly lighthearted manner.
Lincoln Memorial Steps
Stand on the site of Martin Luther King’s famous ‘I Have a Dream’ speech during the defining moment of the Civil Rights Movement in America.
This park traces 12 years of the history of the US using a sequence of outdoor rooms; one for each of Roosevelt’s terms of office. Sculptures and murals depict scenes from the Depression enabling you to stand in the ‘Breadline’.
The National Archives
Displays the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence. Visits to the Public Vaults display original records and new interactive exhibits that allow you to touch and explore interesting documents. Key topics that can be studied here are Civil War, Civil Rights, Cold War, McCarthyism.
National Air & Space Museum
Discover the history of America’s aeronautical industry, from the Wright Brothers’ first flyer in 1903, to the Apollo 11 command module. An ideal visit to cover the Cold War and the Space Race.
An ideal visit en route to the airport, from the Mansion House to the Slave Quarters the plantation home of George Washington gives you the opportunity to see how the first President of the United States lived.
America’s national educational facility with 19 museums including:
- National Museum of Natural History
- National Portrait Gallery.
The Smithsonian Institute museums are free.
We offer flights from a variety of departure airports and we’ll work with you to plan your route at the best value possible.
Giving you full support throughout
Before your tour
- Your own dedicated NST contact
- Bespoke tour itineraries
- Unrivalled local knowledge & expertise
- Curriculum linked visit programmes
- Great value for money - no hidden costs
- Free group leader inspection visits
- Risk assessment guidance
- Safety assured, transport, accommodation and visits
Whilst you're away
- Free educational resources
- Group-friendly accommodation
- Exceptional standards of coaching
- On-tour support from our reps on the ground
- Support & assistance from our specialists guides throughout your tour
- 24/7 support just a call away
- Extensive group travel insurance
On your return
- Priority rebooking services
- Rewarding your loyalty with our reward scheme
- You say, we listen - we're committed to continuously improving our tours
- School travel company of choice since 1996