Why choose a LIVE! event?
- Leading industry professional speakers
- Ideal for exam preparation
- Industry advice on future career opportunities
- Linking the curriculum with the real world
- Build confidence & experience
- Student workbook
- Certificate of attendance
- Fun at Disneyland® Paris
LIVE! student events
Inspire their future career with an immersive student event. View our full range here
Science LIVE! Student Event at Disneyland® Paris
Show your students science in action at our Science LIVE! Conference on Monday 9th March 2020. Learners get the opportunity to come face to face with speakers who are specialists in their field at our Science LIVE! conference - all whilst enjoying the magic of Disneyland® Paris!
Our expert speakers are selected to meet the learning objectives of the Science curriculum and students can put their own questions to our experts during a Q&A session. As part of this immersive science event students take part in park challenges covering the fundamentals of Science.
Meeting your learning objectives - Science LIVE! is designed to meet course aims by encouraging students to develop their curiosity about the world around them, giving them insight into how science works, and appreciation of its relevance to their everyday lives. Learn more about our full range of LIVE! events here, or view the rest of our available school science trips.
Our sample itinerary provides you with an idea of the visits you can cover during your trip. We can tailor-make an itinerary to support your specific learning outcomes.
|1||Morning flight from Ireland||Guided sightseeing tour of Paris||Check in to your accomodation|
|2||Attend the Science LIVE! Conference||Time in Disneyland® Paris Parks||Free time in Disney Village.|
|3||Time in Disneyland® Paris Parks||Return flight to Ireland|
|Morning||Morning flight from Ireland|
|Afternoon||Guided sightseeing tour of Paris|
|Evening||Check in to your accomodation|
|Morning||Attend the Science LIVE! Conference|
|Afternoon||Time in Disneyland® Paris Parks|
|Evening||Free time in Disney Village.|
|Morning||Time in Disneyland® Paris Parks|
|Afternoon||Return flight to Ireland|
Expert speaker presentations - through real life experiences our speakers will give students the chance to hear how science progresses through hypothesis, practical experimentation, observation, theory development and review.
Q&A session - an interactive question and answer session to support an understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science and help students answer scientific questions about the world around them.
Team park challenges - challenges encourage students to apply observational, practical, enquiry and problem-solving skills, in a new and unique learning environment.
The Events Team in Disneyland® Paris will provide support throughout your stay, they’ll:
- Meet you on arrival & assist with hotel check-in
- Be on-hand & provide assistance throughout the event
- Host a teacher meet & greet with coffee & pastries
- Register your students at the conference & take questions
- Assist with check-out & departure
Karl Byrne, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
Karl is an award winning Science Communicator, and Public Engagement consultant and trainer. He is currently the Public Engagement Manager at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
Originally from Northern Ireland, Karl graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a degree in Virology in 2002. He then worked in laboratories in Edinburgh and Belfast for the next 6 years on a range of subjects including HIV, Hepatitis C, the MMR vaccine and drugs to help people with lung diseases caused by smoking.
He has been actively involved in science communication and public engagement since 2000. His previous roles include Christmas Lectures Manager at the Royal Institution of Great Britain, where he produced Professor Saiful Islam’s 2016 lectures TV series; Senior Programme Coordinator at Cheltenham Science Festival; Informal Learning Officer at At-Bristol Science Centre, and Science & Interpretation Officer at Glasgow Science Centre. He has extensive experience writing and performing science shows for schools, festivals and science events around the world. He has designed public experiments and science exhibitions, and has consulted on a wide range of public engagement and science communication activities. He also lectures on public engagement, and has trained scientists and public engagement professionals to be better communicators in over 15 countries, on 4 continents.
In his spare time, Karl is an avid fan of cinema and has written and presented numerous shows looking at the science behind science fiction, as well as the “Science Friction” podcast.
- Explore the parks: Disneyland® Park & Walt Disney Studios® Park
- Shopping in the Disney Village®
- Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show
- Disney Illuminations Night Time Show
- Gaumont Cinema
- Evening meal experience at Planet Hollywood or Billy Bob’s Country Western Saloon
Ride Design & Animatronics
• Key factors & considerations of ride & roller coaster design & maintenance including changes in energy, forces & motion
• Types of materials used & how these have changed over time
• Systems approach to designing rides. The use of electricity & circuits to produce inputs & outputs such as light sensors & sound buzzers etc
Science in Action
• Discover how chemistry plays a vital role at Disneyland® Paris in ride special effects, shows & firework displays
• Chemical reactions – how these manipulate the colours seen in the pyrotechnic displays
• The forms of energy released – sound, light & heat
Senses, Illusion & Virtual Reality
• Consider how Disney create an immersive experience & trick your sense receptors through the use of smells, lights & special effects
• Explore visual imagery; the power of sound, taste & smell sensations
In order to help you prepare for the Science LIVE! Event, you will receive supplementary information about how each speaker will link to the curriculum as well as a list of desired outcomes. This can be used to follow up with your students when you return.
We offer flights from a variety of departure airports and we’ll work with you to plan your route at the best value possible.
Giving you full support throughout
Before your tour
- Your own dedicated NST contact
- Bespoke tour itineraries
- Unrivalled local knowledge & expertise
- Curriculum linked visit programmes
- Great value for money - no hidden costs
- Free group leader inspection visits
- Risk assessment guidance
- Safety assured, transport, accommodation and visits
Whilst you're away
- Free educational resources
- Group-friendly accommodation
- Exceptional standards of coaching
- On-tour support from our reps on the ground
- Support & assistance from our specialists guides throughout your tour
- 24/7 support just a call away
- Extensive group travel insurance
On your return
- Priority rebooking services
- Rewarding your loyalty with our reward scheme
- You say, we listen - we're committed to continuously improving our tours
- School travel company of choice since 1996